website design software
What's a ham


 On this page we're going to tell you a little about the hobby and how you can obtain the  necessary license to operate in the United States.
It's never been so easy to get into ham radio. All ham radio operators must be licensed before they can legally operate. This differs a great deal from the CB (i.e. truckers) and FRS (i.e. dimestore walkie-talkie) services which  require no licenses.
Amateur radio operators must be licensed because they are given  transmitting privileges on a wide variety of frequencies and are allow to use just about any equipment imaginable, even home built radios.  Amateurs are allotted not single specific frequencies but usually whole  ranges (bands) of different frequencies to operate on. These frequencies and methods of transmission are are specified by FCC rules and so it is therefore necessary to be generally familiar with your operating limitations in order to transmit lawfully.
In order to qualify for an amateur radio license, you must pass certain  tests to determine that you have the required knowledge. Fortunately, the tests are not terribly difficult for most people. There are three license levels (known as classes) where each class grants greater  privleges to the individual. There is a single written test for each  license class. The license classes are:
Technician Class - this is the entry level license. It gives privileges on all amateur frequencies above 50 Mhz and is the most popular. It requires only a written test.
General Class - this is the mid-level license. It enables privileges on most amateur frequencies below 50 Mhz and includes global HF (shortwave) communications. It has its own written test.
Extra Class - this is the highest level license. It grants  privileges on all amateur frequencies. It has its own written test and requires that you also have passed all of the Technician and General class written tests.
If you would like more information or to join us, click on the link below for our more details.
Be a ham